Mineplex speaks out against EULA, sparks #SaveMinecraft movement

The problem with this whole EULA debacle was not what it attempted to clear up, it's how the community took it. Instead of understanding what Mojang wished server owners to do, the community blew it out of proportion. Many stated that Mojang was "killing Minecraft" and various name-calling at the developers.

With Mojang's official statement four days ago, and an additional Q&A article on their site posted today, many assumed the issue had been wrapped up. You may be familiar with Mineplex, one of the largest Minecraft server networks. Today the Managing Director of Mineplex, known online as Sterling, has spoken out against Mojang's stance on how the EULA states servers make money.

Speaking in an open letter to Mojang (and Notch in particular), he respectfully disagreed with how Mojang decided the ways servers could make money. He argued that before the EULA discussion sprang up, Mojang not only allowed but endorsed larger servers (and their method of making income). He included a button on his site that allows the reader to tweet using the #SaveMojang, which can be seen below:


The points he made in his statement are very inciteful, as until now there hasn't been any other major server owners coming forward with professional statements. This was the statement that was most interesting:
Looking at the revenue models Mojang has proposed, there are both economic and experiential issues with all of them. We will either not be able to sustain our revenue to be able to keep up with our costs, or we will need to become so focused on developing cosmetic revenue-driving items that we will ruin the experience for our players. We serve millions of players a month, and with that comes substantial costs: servers, ddos mitigation, chat filters, website costs – most of which are on annualized contracts that we locked into. [...] I have asked people to leave their jobs to come work for Mineplex full-time, as I know is the case at the majority of the other large server networks. I can not, or rather will not, fire those people to try conform to rules that I truly believe will do nothing but harm us, Mojang, and the Minecraft community as a whole.

Hopefully this will warrant some kind of response from Mojang. There is still room for improvement in Mojang's EULA.

Source: Sterling Plays

Comments

  1. As I've said the EULA was never changed you even stated it yourself.Remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those tweets a few minutes ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very true. It's not like they've made it so you HAVE to follow the rules, but they want you to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm. You wrote "He included a button on his site that allows the reader to tweet using the #SaveMojang, which can be seen below." Shouldn't it be #SaveMinecraft

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see why people don't like the changes, I read through the Q/A and the article before that, and everything seemed fair. I think The Hive will be much better without those stupid VIPs kicking me off servers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This whole thing is about making it so that servers can make money legally, never once has the EULA been altered...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might seem fair to a player, but as a server owner I'll have to focus on making things that I can sell just to survive. It's going to become far, far worse then it ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I half agree with Mineplex...they should have a decent way to make money since I would want kits more than hats or colored names, but still! Seriously people, nobody likes a greedy server. All the ranks and stuff make it totally ridiculous. It's just not fair at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate Mineplex. I thought, that because of the EULA, I could FINALLY play on Mineplex and actually WIN at something. But no. Mineplex has to argue. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am a server owner, but I have other ways of making money for my server besides selling stupid things that make people who don't pay like $20 not have a fair chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree its crazy they just now r speeking out about it but my thing is if u have a server u have an mc acc and u accepted the EULA already! u cant make $ off there game! atleast they didnt say no more making $ off youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guys it may sound stupid but use YouTube to your advantage. Mentize a YouTube video then advertise on the server to click on the video.Or release shirts and other things to draw in money.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally, if you have never beaten a player with an ultra kit, I find it lame. If anything they should be a mere overcomeable obstacle. Also millions of people have already purchased kits. With this new EULA millions of dollars are wasted. These servers may lose staff as stated in the article. If people do not want to play on these servers then they can be free to play singleplayer. In mineplex, games are not ruled by kits. Many are skill or teamwork based, or require good reaction time and agility. One with a simple class can outsmart an elaborate one. EULA is unnecessary and is starting previously unexisting conflict on servers with good communities. #SaveMinecraft #SaveMineplex

    ReplyDelete
  14. The EULA hasn't changed from the one every player accepted. Nothing here is new. Mojang already said you cannot make money off of Minecraft, with two exceptions: YouTube videos and server donations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree redstone minerand I'm only 11 I can't pay for the entry

    ReplyDelete
  16. sorry I name you minerand I was using Google Voice.I really need to get my period.On the end of my texts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found out that Mineplex doesn't have ctf. Nooooooooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Typo:The points he made in his statement are very inciteful <-insightful

    ReplyDelete
  19. […] that didn't change the game (like custom nametags), just not change the game functionality. Mineplex was one of the most vocal opponents of Mojang's EULA, basically saying they wouldn't be able to make enough money if they were forced to take back […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment