Notch will leave Mojang along with other founders, after Microsoft acquisition is complete

We might have expected Mojang being purchased by Microsoft after the rumors hit, but no one saw this coming. In a statement on his blog, Markus Persson (aka Notch) announced that he will leave Mojang after the purchase is complete. Also leaving the company after is Carl Manneh (current CEO of Mojang) and Jakob Porsér (developer for both Minecraft and Scrolls).

Rather than sum it up myself, here's watch Markus said about him leaving:
I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

You can see the original post at the source link below. Now we will see what happens to a Mojang under Microsoft and without the people who founded it.

Source: Notch

Comments

  1. very very sad :-( i never expected Microsoft will buy mojang.just hope Microsoft does not create a second minecraft and forces us to pay for it just as it did with the flight simulator series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont think they will. they want to keep the comunity happy im sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad. I don't know what will happen, including even Pocket Edition, my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Microsoft won't ruin Minecraft, they spent $2.5M on it and they're hardly going to then make it worth way less than that by making the community hate the developers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't think that the game will change direction, still the same devs just a new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me want to cry. I would rather he stopped developing Minecraft altogether than sell it to Microsoft.
    At least if he stopped updating it it wouldn't jump the shark.


    I'm gonna collapse in my bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, Microsoft is gonna be waay more power hungry than Mojang, and they are gonna produce stuff that the greatest demographic enjoys, which is the child demographic.


    Minecraft will become easier than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty bummed about this myself, I've been a fan of Minecraft for as long as it's been out. I'm so upset this is happening D:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the only one who actually cares about poor Marcus rather than the future of Minecraft? Yes, I am a little worried about the Microsoft thing, but think of it this way: if you were just creating something for the fun of it, and never really expected much of it, and it suddenly became such a massive hit you couldn't even attend conventions without a body gaurd, how would you feel?

    Some of us would embrace it and hire new employees. Others, usually the more shy ones (Marcus himself was very shy according to a biography I read about him), wouldn't like all that attention.

    So just think about that before you go whining about this deal with Microsoft, who knows Microsoft might actually do a good job with the game. Plus Jens, Erick, Nathan and most of the others are still there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel bad for Marcus too cuz how the public has been treating him...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Notch is a great person and i agree its too much for him and send him the best of wishes AND IF ANYONE SAYS THAT HES MAKING THE WRONG CHOICE THEY WILL HAVE ME TOO ANSWER CAUSE ITS HIS LIFE AND HE DECIDED SO LEAVE HIM ALONE

    ReplyDelete
  12. just saying, can you make the quote color something different? its hard to read what markus said

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah. I'm a little nervous what will happen with PE too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously doubt anything will happen to Pocket Edition that has a negative effect, same goes for every other edition. Maybe a Windows Phone version will finally come out, who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm kinda scared that they will mess this up big time , I mean Microsoft is pretty good but the thing is they have millions of people working for Microsoft so if just one makes a mess it's DONE and there ON MORE MINECRAFT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why notch Microsoft is going to ruin the whole
    game just like the ruin everything else .

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is you can get tons a great person but why in the world would he sell minecraft

    ReplyDelete
  18. And what will happen to skydoesminecraft

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uh...he will keep making videos probably.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I understand why he did this, but it is rather selfish.
    I'm not saying it will, but it could potentially wreck peoples lives. The ones who have quit their jobs to work full time on youtube, servers and mods... He has also gone back on everything he has ever said. All the stuff he talked about companies selling out was rather hypocritical.
    I don't see how selling the company to microsoft and 'running away' will solve any issues. He will still be known as the creator of minecraft, he will still be widely popular.
    In my opinion, if he didnt want to be a CEO anymore, since he never saw himself as a CEO, he should have passed on the role to someone else. I'm sure there would be better candidates than microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, except in the case of YouTubers, Microsoft said they won't change anything and people can still make money from videos of Minecraft.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment