Powered by Redstone: An Epic 4 Year Journey

Four years. As of today, that's officially how long this site has been live. In November of 2008, I was pretty bored one night and wanted to make a website about my (then favorite) PC game. That night it went live on poweredbyredstoneblog.blogspot.com.

To this day, Powered by Redstone is still the single most important thing I've ever worked on. I have yet to put as many hours and (figurative) sweat into any other project I have worked on as this site. And while all other authors have left the site, I still enjoy writing for you guys.

This site started out on Blogger in November of 2008 and continued on that service for a while. Eventually we got our own domain name, and then moved everything to a self-hosted WordPress database in May of 2012, and that's where we've been since.

[caption id="attachment_3208" align="aligncenter" width="951"]Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 5.31.50 PM Powered by Redstone in Jan 2012. Feel old? Because I sure do.[/caption]

I'll be honest, I don't play Minecraft as much as I used to. I still play it with friends, and maybe jump on the occasional server every once and a while. The site itself has slowly declined in popularity over the last year as I am unable to update it as frequently as I used to. But Powered by Redstone continues to have a loyal reader base.

If you enjoy this site, I encourage you to check out my personal site corbindavenport.com. That's where I've been posting personal stuff for a while now (mostly rambling about technology), and I'll be moving some of my stuff over there in the near future. I don't work on anything else as big as this site, but I'll be posting more over there.

I will continue working on this site until I have a good reason to. And in the meantime be sure to turn off AdBlock (I gotta save up for a car somehow! xD).

To four more years being awesome,

Corbin Davenport

Comments

  1. You should create a form for people to apply as authors, maybe you'll eventually find someone who will stick around :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. welp im the #3 commenter so i think i count as loyal! lol anyway corbin ive loved this site for a long time and i really hope you keep up the good work! Happy Birth-Day Powered By Redstone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Happy 4th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes definitely, I do not have much time (Being a College Student) but if there was an easy way to submit an article or an opinion paper or a tutorial or something, I could do something like that (You may have seen my three paragraph response in the Video of PE beta 0.10 :P).


    You could also maybe set up a debate area for some of us to express our opinions (I was pretty opinionated on the topic of mojang being bought out). These are just some thoughts to keep Powered By Redstone alive and full of content ;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 years, wow. For the only 2 I have really been following PBR it has been a great 2 years. And just a question Corbin, are you becoming more active of Youtube (after the PE video) because that could be a way to get some more popularity.


    And what do you mean "To four more years being awesome,"?!?!?!
    It should be "To until minecraft dies and there is no more news to report and nothing awesome to do in which case this site will still live on to remind us of the days when minecraft was epic"
    Yah that sounds better, it sounds a little scary when you say "To four" years ;). I know that you don't mean that you will kill PBR but you should plan for a long time of epicness.



    Congrats PBR and sorry to hear the other authors missed out on all the epicness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i dont have tons of extra time but if you opened some spots id consided posting some. more builds and stuff cuz i gt most of my MC new here but still!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can i ask a quick question? how can you have a site, that is 4 years old, started in 2008 (before the making of minecraft) and the first post was in 2011. Trust me Corbin I'm a big fan, I know how the site supported webley and then MyFallen (RIP MyFallen btw, a great server to the end) and I've even seen you in minecraft before.


    Regards- Jellosmelter

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't like to think to think about the death of Minecraft...it will be a long time anyway.


    Even if Mojang dropped support for the game, and it lost most of it's popularity, they would most likely make it open-source, and modders could take it over and add even more stuff.


    Also games don't really ever "die" they just stop growing, I mean there are still people who play Pong and other old video games, right?


    (Sorry for my rambling xD)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I am late to the party, but happy birthday anyway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Kris, I was unaware. Does Jehoshaphat still work on phoenix?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment