Minecraft user name changing official, coming February 4th

After a few Mojang developers' jokes became mis-intepreted as a confirmation for username changing in Minecraft, we finally have an answer. According to a post on Mojang's blog, the feature is coming on February 4th.

The details are pretty simple, you can change your username once every 30 days. Mojang will be freeing up usernames without paid accounts in the coming weeks, meaning a greater database of usernames to choose from coming up. The only requirement to change your username is a paid copy of Minecraft and a Mojang account (if you haven't transitioned from a Minecraft account to a Mojang account, hurry up!).

And if you happen to be famous in the Minecraft world, you'll be happy to know that only one person can use the same username at once. If you change your username, after 30 days your old name goes back in the bucket for anyone to use.

Source: Mojang

Comments

  1. Im totally famous enough or people to want to steal my username...*cough cough* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! I'm surprised mojang actually has a date though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About time! :D

    I have wanted to change my name since FOREVER! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your old name becomes available to others after 37 days to give users the abiity to change back if they don't like their name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally, I can change my name soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't think that this will be of much use to me, I like my username, and besides, this could cause REAL issues on servers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is going to cause many problems. Mainly on servers. Servers use usernames to apply ranks to players and if someone changes their name they could be admin on a server one day and a basic player the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually servers and plugins now store users as a unique ID instead of by their username, this started when 1.7.9 or 1.7.10 was released in anticipation of name-changing. As long as the server is on those versions, there should be no problems at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah. I see. I never knew about that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to change my name so when i found out we could i changed it immediately, But after that i went on to my favorite sky block server and found i couldn't go on my old island because i changed my name but the sky block thing didn't change it. Is there a way that i don't have to wait the 30 days to get my old name back??? please help i did it this morning and now I'm really sad D: :{

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes, yes it dose

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment