PSA: Beware of fake Minecraft PE info/screenshots

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 8.01.45 PMThe community surrounding Minecraft Pocket Edition is different from that of the PC Edition. Pocket Edition attracts much younger players than other editions (due to the simplicity of buying an app versus playing it on PC and messing with Java/possible viruses/etc), meaning some PE players can be gullible at times (please don't take offense to that if you play PE, I'll explain why).

We have had countless emails and twitter messages telling us that our estimated release dates are wrong, and points us to a video of someone with 100 subscribers saying something different. Simply put, because the overall average age of Pocket Edition players is younger than PC, there tends to be more false update information being passed around.

We have become aware of several sites and YouTube channels passing around false information and screenshots of Minecraft PE. Although we won't pinpoint anyone in particular, the problem is rather rampant on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter. A common practice for Minecraft PE players is to make 'concepts' - basically a poorly photoshopped PC screenshot to show what something could look like on MCPE. We took the screenshot on the right from Twitter, it's an obvious fake by the white line on the left of the Enderman.

While most PE players can tell with basic common sense that these are fakes, sometimes these screenshots are taken out of context by others and shared as actual screenshots. There are hundreds of 'MCPE News' Twitter accounts that share stuff like this, and this results in fake information becoming rampant.

We take our news very seriously. All of our Minecraft news comes directly from Mojang or a developer at Mojang, and you can check simply by clicking the Source link at the bottom of every article we have ever written. That's why we want to caution our readers to watch out for this fake information/screenshots in the future. Be careful where you get your Minecraft news from!

Comments

  1. #1 Mcpe News Source!March 16, 2014 at 1:03 PM

    You know you can trust me. I don't give any information out that I don't know if it's confirmed. If it isn't confirmed I DO say that that thing is a POSSIBILITY of coming into the game. So whoever is reading this comment you can trust me. I really don't want to spam so I won't. Just try to find me on YouTube and Twitter. That's all I'm saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all people post on MCPE communities on Google+, I should probably leave the MCPE community I am part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might check out your YouTube sometime :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry but this is my number 1 news source :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 Mcpe News Source!March 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM

    That's ok :) Just remember, you can still come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe people will really make fake screenshots that are THIS bad. Like, seriously? Is it not obvious that it's fake to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why not join our community? https://plus.google.com/b/112972201547887051101/communities/106479868965146767375

    ReplyDelete
  8. its not obvious to 6-8 year olds

    ReplyDelete
  9. ill have to do that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been a part of it since the day you realeased it :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. excuse me? really, not cool. I know a lot of smart 6-8 year olds

    ReplyDelete
  12. never said they weren't smart, I said they should be more ACTIVE

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have found popular videos on youtube saying that they have the apk for the beta, and they lead to a website that tries to take your personal information. And when i was trying to get the 0.8.0 beta, there were alot of fake versions filled with adware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. there was no minecraft when I was 8(probably not you either)
    but we have it now and kids play with it instead of legos.

    P.S. not to be offensive to you if you find it so

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know man, it's just... they should be outside more D:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess I see your point

    ReplyDelete
  17. You should NEVER get APKs from outside the Play Store unless you are 100% sure they are legitimate. Google offers no protection against apps outside the Play Store, so you are at risk when you install them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The 0.8.0. beta was out before i got my LG Optimus g pro, and i had, (and still own,) my kindle fire HD, which cannot use the google appstore, despite the fact that it's an android. Due to the fact that i have access to google +, I'll probably just jet the beta the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not all 6-8 year old's are lazy nerds that post horrible pictures like the one shown above :D Also I agree with you Blake Beard :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Also most APK's are illegal because of obvious reasons :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. He forgot the 0.9.0 alpha watermark, noob xD

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should have added a troll face. Again know me as Justin M Berry because im not using facebook anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  23. PE is going to be so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've dealt with putting up with these there are even fake Enchantment Table pics but Enderman have been confirmed so that person got some thing right

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is actually no longer true, Google "verify apps" feature has gone to the whole OS now. It is being rolled out, so we should get it soon :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment